In 2006, Luke and Karla Redus, along with their three boys, loaded up the family car with homemade breakfast tacos and headed to downtown Conroe. Their intention was to simply follow God’s leading by sharing His love (along with some good food) to the homeless in their community. Little did they know that God had bigger plans!
Now, years later, the ministry that has become Compassion United is still providing food to the hungry and homeless. The original vision to spread the love of Jesus has expanded as others have come alongside to provide outreach, relief and empowerment in the lives of the poor, homeless, addicted, and outcast in Montgomery County.
That initial step of faith, providing 200 potato-and-egg tacos, developed into what we now call “Breakfast in the Park”. This pillar of our outreach feeds upwards of 125 individuals, with as many as 40 churches, businesses and organizations partnering with us to purchase, cook and serve the meal every Saturday morning throughout the year.
Desiring to form deeper relationships with those who attended breakfast, the Conroe House of Prayer was launched in 2009. The CHOP doors are currently open five mornings a week where those who may not be comfortable in a traditional church setting can participate in worship, hear an uplifting message of God’s love and enjoy a hearty breakfast. During this time we also provide clothing, hygiene items, prayer, and discipleship to anyone in need.
And it didn’t stop there! Compassion United has since welcomed many local churches, businesses and individuals to partner with us in serving the community. These partnerships have born much fruit, so that now, more than 10 years later Compassion United is:
- Providing a consistent program for men who are ready to make a change through our men’s transitional home. Freedom House.
- Providing a safe place for women who find themselves in a crisis pregnancy situation, giving them an alternative to abortion. JoyHouse
- Giving displaced, abused or hurting women a restful haven from which they can begin a new, healthy and successful life. Hosanna House
- Loving and teaching underprivileged kids in our local community, and equipping them to fulfill a better destiny then the one in which they are daily surrounded. Destiny Kids
- Sharing groceries each month with roughly 900 individuals in East County. Food Pantry
- Empowering all of our transitional house residents to reach their goals through a variety of life skills classes, one on one mentoring, weekly goal setting and daily encouragement. Fresh Start
And we’re not finished yet! Compassion United has become the most impacting ministry in Montgomery County and we are still growing. Plans and ideas are in the works for many exciting new opportunities. We would love for you to be a part of that! Come join us as together we commit to do all we can to help others find hope again, achieve success, and realize their dreams.